What is it?
Flat feet are a normal part of childhood development as the foot bones and muscles grow and adjust to the demands of walking. Foot arch height increases with age up until about 8 years old.
In children with excessively flat feet problems may occur due to this atypical walking and movement pattern. Overcompensation leading to pain can also take place in several joints if the feet are not providing an adequate base of support.
What causes it?
Excessive flat feet that are becoming painful can be caused by several factors including:
- family history- the most significant factor
- hypermobility- too much flexibility in the foot joints
- being overweight- putting excess force on the foot joints
What can be done about it?
Depending on the extent of the pain and your child’s foot posture there are a range of treatment options available. These may include:
- Specific footwear selection
- Muscle stretching and strengthening
- In-shoe wedges
- Foot orthotics